About the department
The need for tourism police emerged since the late of 1950s of the last century from the increase in religious locations such as: graves of the prophets and companions, and Islamic battles sites, in addition to other historical sites. Jordan enjoys a high level of security, so, the public security leadership has been decided to establish a specialized department in tourism secure to maintain tourism security in Jordan. Tourism police formation has been passed through the following phases:
- In 1958 the idea began to assign number of police staff, it was called a religious police to provide security to tourists and pilgrims.
- In 1967 the tourism police unit was established in tourism authority in Amman, and it has been renamed tourism police section affiliated with operations department.
- In 1988 the tourism police section was responsible for providing and maintaining tourism security under the control of operations department.
- In 1990 the tourism police section was affiliated to special branch office.
- In 1994 the tourism police department was established to maintain tourism security.
Today the tourism police department has many branches and sections in all the kingdom's regions to provide services to tourist and visitors. The department maintain the tourism security through the following points:
The first point: provide protection for tourist groups through the security check from the moment of entry to departure.
The second point: protect the tourist and archaeological sites and provide security for the tourist groups.
The third point: receiving the tourist's complaints at the archaeological sites and during their resident at hotels and tourist camps, in addition to receive their compliant through email or the ministry of tourism and submit it to the competent authorities.
The fourth point: contribute to develop and improve the national tourism product through participation in security committee activities, and joint control unit to fulfill the recommendations of these committees to enhance the tourism sector and provide services to tourists.
- maintain the security and safety of tourist groups during the tourism process.
- implement periodic activities at historical sites and hotels.
- monitor the tourism events performance and its compliance with legislations, in addition to adjust breaches and take necessary actions.
- receive tourist's complaints and notes and solve them in coordination with competent authorities in accordance to legislations.
- provide necessary facilities for officials delegation during their visit to archaeological sites.
- coordinate with ministry of tourism and antiquates and private tourism sector through the liaison office in respect of joint business related to tourism process.
- issue orders and instructions related to tourist and tourism sites security in coordination with public security directorate.
- prepare reports and statistics related to tourism activities and submit them to competent authorities.
- coordinate with regional security leadership and patrols department to guard the tourist groups.
- implement other duties upon request.