- His Royal Highness Prince Abdullah Bin Al Hussein, may God rest his soul, arrived to Ma'an on 11th of November 1920, His Highness arrived to Amman on 2nd of March 1921 and appointed the first Jordanian government headed by Rashid Dlia'h on 4th of Nov 1921. The first Director of public security was Ali Qalgi Pashah known as "the adviser of security and discipline". The security force at that time consisted of gendarmerie forces, gendarmerie battalion, regular battalion and equestrian battalion.
- On 10th of March 1922, adviser of security and discipline was replaced by public security director, Rushdie Safadi was appointed to this position instead of Ali Qalgi Pashah.
- In 1927 , the deputy chief of army was changed into assistant of army chief for public security.
- In 1930, Bedouin men was recruited to form a force responsible for security in desert , the force was headed by Klob Pasha , his assistant was surrogate Ahed Al-Suqn , the force was known as "Badyah Force" located in Mafraq, Azraq and Al-jafer.
- Public security was connected completely to the Army until 1956, over that time , it was practicing the responsibilities as assistant to the commander of the joint chiefs of staff for public security. in 1956, public security was disconnected from the army command in which Lt.Gen. Bahjat Tabarah was the first public security director.
- in 1958, public security was established as independent legal entity connected to the Ministry of Interior.
- In 1965, the public security Law # 38 1965 was issued including the duties and the organizational structure. After issuing public security Law , PSD followed such techniques to achieve purposes and duties.
- Organizing process required sustainable development to meet the challenges of new social and political conditions from time to time , the following periods explained the quality organizing to public security agency :
First stage: 1956-1974
The organizing process was similar to the armed forces depending on the fact that military duties is as same as police duties in all discipline and organizational dimensions. There were two assistants for the management and operations accordingly, public security was followed completely to armed forces command till 1956 when the Law # 27 1956 was issued to disconnect public security forces from the army and joined to the ministry of interior in which public security directorate was established headed by Lt. Gen. Bahjat Tabarah. since then , this stage was the core of police history.PSD was organized and formed in the way containing all its units , logistic support and personnel support was provided. In 1957, because of the critical circumstances, public security was reconnected to the armed forces command. In 1958 , Law # 29 was issued to disconnect public security agency and joined it to the ministry of interior.
- Because of the population growth and development , there was acceleration in the development of public security agency via attracting all cultural and scientific competencies so that, the royal police faculty was established in 1958 to qualify and train personnel.
- Over 1962-1965 , rescue police was established in addition to provide PSD with police directorates , buildings and police stations in all regions of Kingdom.
- The most great achievement over this period was the issue of public security Law # (38) 1965 in which it contained details of duties and rights.
- Over the 70th decade , PSD focused on training and qualifying the personnel theoretically and practically , so that the royal police faculty was developed and new recruits training school was innovated. Police women training school was established in 1972 containing 6 female recruits. In 26th of Oct 1972 when the royal decree was issued to establish princess Basma institute for training women police.
Second stage 1974-1985
This period began after the adoption of the regulatory formula that resulted in the second conference of Arab police and security leaders held in Amman during the period between 22-25 / 1974 and was hold to unify the organizational structures of the security entities in the Arab countries, the new organization included three assistants :
- Administrative police assistant
- judicial police assistant
- support police assistant
Third stage: 1986 -1990
This phase was organized as response to the development of police duties, a complete revision at all administrative levels was performed in which the organizational structure of PSD contained five assistants and the focus on human resources was one of the most important achievements that took place at that time because of intensive focus on the education level for the staff members so that , most of personnel had bachelor degree education in addition to the use of modern technology, training programs and plans and opening new contact channels with external scientific institutes around the world.
Fourth stage 1990-1992
The organization structure was still quintuple for the PSD organizational structure although some changes were made between departments and units from one assistant to another. The organizational structure of PSD became stable and unified at all police directorates and stations taking into account the emphasis on activating the laws, regulations and the need to respect the freedom of individuals and take procedure against aggressors on people's wealth and life in addition to simplify procedures and to provide the security service to citizens quickly with minimum cost and effort.
Fifth stage: 1992-2004
This phase witnessed development and organizing of PSD work via establishing units performing their duties to keep in line with what is new:
Jordan Traffic Institute
on 6th of Feb 1996, Jordan traffic institute was established to make studies and traffic researches in addition to the qualifying staff members in traffic field.
Family Protection Department
It was established on 2nd of Oct 1999 having divisions at all areas of responsibility to investigate in crimes against women and children. The department made studies and research papers about domestic violence and received the complaints on the free hotline number(111). PSD seeks to protect family as it is the core of society.
Rehabilitation and Correction Center for Women
Rehabilitation and correction center for women was established in Jwadeh- Amman, it was equipped with all facilities since 24th of June 2000.
PSD museum was established in 2000 in Azraq on the area of 7650 m2, the museum reflects the nice picture of PSD over the years of development in Jordan history.
Women Police Musician Group
The interest of PSD to develop the performance of women police and diversified their activities and broke the routine known duties, women police musician group was formed in 2000, along with multiple internal and external participation including the participation in the activities of the Arab Cultural Week in the Federal Republic of Germany / state Squina during the period from 20th of August 2003 until 1st Sept 2003.
Sixth stage: 2005 -2019
- This phase witnessed many developments and achievements at the administrative and practical level to keep up with developments and changes, so that the kingdom was divided to five security region commands followed to the director of PSD based on geographic and economic importance to merge the old and new police directorates as the following:
Police Region Commands
- Responding to the Royal Decree in dividing the Kingdom to provinces , PSD organizational structure was reformed to avoid centralization of decision- making process and develop the work based on strategic planning and general policies of PSD. the Kingdom has been divided to the following region police commands:
- Metropolitan region police command contains three police directorates instead of the previous two directorates ( the Capital and suburbs ) , south Amman police command , north Amman police command , mid-Amman police command which was innovated in 2005.
- Middle region police command covers Rusyfah , Zarqa directorates which were innovated in 2004 , in addition to Balqa'a and Ma'adba police directorates.
- North region police command covers Irbed , Ramtha , Jerash , Ajloun police directorates in addition to West Irbed which was opened in 2006,
- South region police command covers Karak, Ma'an, Tafelah police directorates in addition to Petra police directorate which was innovated in 2006.
- Aqaba region police command: This command was established because of importance of this special economic free zone.
- PSD continued working based on the comprehensive security concept to cover all areas of the Kingdom via providing premium security services and opening new police stations in areas which have a population , geographic and economic importance and responding to the needs of citizens and following their complaints to spread stability and safety.
- Mass Media Office
PSD seeks to deal with acceleration of events in current time, so that mass media office was established in 2005 being followed to the public relations and morale guide department. The office is responsible for events subject to public security directorate and having concerns related to the public opinion. Mass media provides database for media to facilitate catching the news in different events quickly in addition to build trust bridges between media agencies.
- Investment Security & Countenance Unit
Based on the Royal directives related to the role of public security at the field of investment , Investment Security & Countenance Unit was established on 1st of Oct 2005 to provide security services for investors via issuing security approvals and following-up investment affairs inside the kingdom either to their families or their investments. The unit was followed to the special branch to meet the investors’ needs and the use of available human resources in the special branch.
Police Security Cabins
Police security cabins were established on 2005 to increase the security existence and make civilians feel safe and respond rapidly to the urgent situations. PSD seeks to cover all governorates especially the populated areas where traffic jam is. Citizens welcomed the existence of these cabins and contribute to support the relationship between citizens and policemen for the sake of safe societies.
Police stations were established on 2005 , they are modern police sections distributing on the highways aiming to protect security on roads for citizens and tourists. These stations provide services related to humanitarian assistance and responding to urgent situations ( rescue, firefighting, ambulance ).
Amen FM Radio
Amen FM has been considered to be a new stage of development in PSD to strengthen the partnership between public security directorate and citizens and boost the concept of comprehensive security. The frequency of Amen FM is 89.5 , it aims to spread awareness and interact with citizens’ suggestions and opinions in a style reflects transparency and trust for the true partnership.
PSD Air Wing
PSD air wing was established 1988 with three helicopters still operating till now. Based on directives of his Majesty King Abdullah II Ben Al-Hussein and the development plan of PSD , four helicopter were provided to PSD air wing to provide the police services to citizens since the latest comparable countries in the world.
The helicopters featured with its small size, the high operational capacity, operating under weather conditions and provided with modern equipments in communications and aviation.
The Royal Department for Environment Protection
The concept of security is no longer limited to the traditional role of police. PSD seeks to provide security concept at all walks of life which mean criminal , economic, social , political , cultural and environmental security. Pursuant to the Royal Directives for the coordination of efforts between the concerned ministries and departments in order to maintain the nation's resources and the basic environmental pillars and the ingredients so that , Jordan signed the treaties and international agreements on the protection of the environment based on political Jordanian efforts to play an active role in various fields and levels. The government has come with philosophy of development of the environment police as an national orientation for the protection of the environmental situation in Jordan, and put an end to environmental violations at all fields (air, water, soil, biodiversity) in addition to decreasing pollutants which have negative effects appearing directly on the health status of citizens generally .
Special Police Forces Command
The new organizational structure of PSD contained creation of Special Police Forces Command which formed of four brigades in addition to UNIT14 . the four brigades contained a group of battalions. SPFC is one of the most trained and qualified units in PSD.
King Abdullah Ben Al-Hussein Training City
PSD developed a policy of two dimensions related to the recruitment and training of males and females who were educated in universities , colleges , and high schools. PSD realizes the importance of education and its connection to the training and qualifying. Many internal and external training courses were held to raise the professionalism and efficiency of staff members . policies and training plans were prepared with the latest curricula to meet the new challenges of field work. On 2nd of may 2007, King Abdullah Ben Al-Hussein training city was opened in Mwaqar- Amman to be the training center for COs and NCOs. The training city included five training facilities: commissioned officers training institute , prince Ghazi Ben Mohammad school for training non-commissioned officers , languages and computer training institute , prince Hussein Ben Abdullah II for training new recruits and criminology and security science center.
Rehabilitation And Correction Centers
Pursuant the change of punishment concept to rehabilitation and correction of human acts , Al-Jafer rehabilitation and correction center was closed because it didn’t meet the modern concepts of penal institutions. The new centers were equipped with the latest technical and administrative tools to keep on line with correction policy in rehabilitation and correction centers. Hence , the new rehabilitation and correction center was opened in Mwaqar with capacity of 1000 inmates. Mwaqar center was provided with air conditioning waiting rooms and visit hall which met the international standards of prisons in addition to special rooms to make inmates meet their lawyers in privacy and visitor rooms equipped with all comfortable conditions. new small court rooms and health care center were provided to facilitate the trail procedures and provide protection for inmates in Jwaidah center. PSD signed agreement with general institution of social insurance to cover those inmates who meet the conditions of joining the institution, PSD covers the financial costs of inmates who can find a salary to support him and his family after the end of prison period.
Grievances And Human Rights Office
Grievances and human rights office was established on 21st of July 2005 to guarantee the implementation of police procedures on the spirit of justice and equality among citizens and to ensure that the protection of liberties and personal rights guaranteed by the Constitution to give the civilized picture of PSD , and the protection of its members from malicious complaints, and deepening ties with the both formal and informal local community institutions in order to serve the public security message.
Strategic Security Studies Center
PSD realized the undergoing social , economic and cultural changes in terms of increased crime rates and the diversity of its forms, and the emergence of security phenomena were not known before, such as violence, terrorism, cyber , the environmental crimes and organized crime, all of that made it necessary to employ the output of scientific research and interest to become a guide for planning security and functional strategies , so that there was a need for updating the mechanisms of scientific research and the development of security information systems and opening channels of cooperation and exchange of knowledge to be aware of cross-borders crimes.
Believing in the importance of scientific research in the field of security, and the harmony with the role played by the Public Security directorate in rooting security science and establish the concept of comprehensive security, PSD launched the idea of establishing Strategic Security Studies Center which was established on 9th of Feb 2006 to be independent organized academy concerned with scientific research of the security at the national level and connected to the latest strategic knowledge, security, regional and international development.
Vehicles and Drivers Licensing Department
Vehicles and drivers licensing department won King Abdullah II Award for Distinguished Governmental Performance and Transparency, it is the highest award at national level. The department implemented the new registration plates system of vehicles on 29th April 2007. It continues implementation of computerization of theoretical examination for license seekers to guarantee transparency and justice in license examinations.
the nature of police work and the rapid response in urgent situations requires getting the logistic support quickly ( vehicles, equipments , technical systems .. etc ) to sustain performing police work professionally , so that procurement department was established as independent unit to be responsible for procurements policy of PSD to provide all the needs in the best specifications in order to save effort and time, to do so, it was necessary to restraint purchasing operations through a unit in order to preserve the rights of suppliers and facilitate transactions.
stakeholders motivating them to achieve the high national goals
- On 16/5/2020, PSD hotels and chalets were followed to the Logistic Support Department which are followed to the Assistant of public Security Director for Management and Human Resources.
- Investment Protection Unit was innovated and followed to The Royal Badyah Police Command on 20/2/2020
- Qafqafa rehabilitation and correction center was innovated also on 7/2/2020.
seventh stage : 2019- up to now
- On the 16th of Jan 2019, the Royal Directives were issued to merge the General Directorate of Gendarmerie and The General Directorate of Civil Defense with Public Security Directorate for performance development , deepen the professional security coordination and boost the delivery of service in the way that the citizens can touch it in the daily life. The merge process targets to support the rule of law, right protection and minimize the costs.
- On the 16th of Feb 2020 , the Royal Decree was issued to approve Rule # (14) 2020 the amendment to the public security Law. The new law completed all constitutional and legislation procedures stipulating the merge of Gendarmerie forces and civil defense under public security.
- Based on the new organizational structure , all units and commands of same jurisdiction are merged in the way to achieve the public purposes of the Royal Directives. New units and commands were innovated and operated in line with the directives of His Majesty King Abdullah II Ben Al Hussein – the Supreme Commander of Jordan Armed Forces especially regarding the performance development, delivery of security service to citizens. One of the innovated departments " Retired Servicemen Affairs Department".